THIS PROJECT IS A REQUIRED PART OF THE 100th YEAR BADGE!
As of March of 2012, Girl Scouts of Montana and Wyoming are participating in the Forever Green 100th anniversary Take Action project as part of Girl Scouts 100th anniversary. We are focusing on the Reduce Plastic Waste initiative, which encourages girls, volunteers, families and of course Girl Scout staff to use reusable water bottles and bags. You can take the pledge now to get ready. Go to girlscouts.org/gsforevergreen to learn more.
What Does This Mean?
- We are taking the “Reduce Plastic Waste” Challenge and using reusable water bottles and bags while encouraging others to do the same.
- Girl Scouts, Leaders, Alumni, Staff, Friends & Family are encouraged take the pledge (on the Forever Green website) to commit to reduce plastic waste and keep track of their use for a month.
- Girl Scouts, Leaders, Alumni, Staff, Friends & Family are working together with global Girl Scouts and friends to change the world!
How to get started: Girl Scouts and the community at large are invited to take the online Girl Scouts Forever Green Pledge at http://www.girlscouts.org/gsforevergreen. Those who make the pledge commit to a year of taking daily actions to protect the environment. The Girl Scout Forever Green patch is available to purchase from Girl Scouts of Montana and Wyoming for girls who participate in this month long Take Action project.
As with all Girl Scout activities, Girl Scouts Forever Green gives girls the opportunity to develop leadership skills they can use now and throughout their lives.
- Girls at all grade levels discover what is meaningful to them and realize how their own values relate to the environment and what they can do to protect it.
- When Girl Scouts team together to implement Girl Scouts Forever Green in their schools and communities, they connect with others.
- Annually, Girl Scouts take action and inspire others to join the effort.
- If 800,000 Girl Scouts switch to using reusable bags and bottles, we’ll eliminate nearly 630 million pounds of plastic waste over the girls’ lifetimes.
- This is the equivalent to the weight of 140 space shuttles at the time of take-off!
Ideas for Forever Green Kickoff Parties: Check out the Forever Green Tool Kit!
Everyone wear green
Girls bring all of their plastic recyclables to the party to be recycled
If internet is available, girls fill out pledges online (otherwise give them notes with the address for the pledge)
Learn random facts about plastic
Eat Green Foods
- Apple/Kiwi/Kale Smoothies or Juice
- Celery with peanut butter and raisins (ants on a log)
- Green Grapes
- Green frosted cupcakes or cookies
Read Oobleck by Dr. Seuss
- Discuss how it relates to environmental issues
- Make green Oobleck – http://www.instructables.com/id/Oobleck/